THE PERFORMANCE TRAP - Part 2
- Lavon Weemes
- Aug 1, 2009
- Category: Sunday School, rss
Even when it’s not Halloween, most people wear a mask. You must look beyond the mask and see the person!
- Even good people have bad days.
- People often do things for other than the apparent reasons.
- People like, trust and believe those who like them.
- People hear only what they understand.
- Everybody prefers to talk about things that are important to him/her.
- Most people initially approach a situation with at least some concer about “what is in it for me”
- People are easier to manage if you are friendly instead of bossy.
- Everyone’s number one need is acceptance.
- Everyone’s number one fear is rejection.
We’ve been talking about 4 general beliefs that are lies that we apply to our lives. The one we are dealing with this week is….”I must meet certain standards to feel good about myself.”
When God told Saul to completely annialate the Amalekites, he disobeyed. But he thought he was going above and beyond the call of duty to bring back the “very best of the things….to sacrifice to the Lord” (I Samuel ). Saul was afraid of coming short in God’s eyes. He was also afraid of not pleasing the people. In verse 21 of I Samuel 15, he says “but the people took the plunder”, choosing to let them do what they wanted so he would be accepted in their eyes, rather than obeying what God said. This disobedience to God was the last straw and cost Saul the
In Luke 10, Martha was also caught in a performance trap of her own. Her frustration came out in attacking Mary for sitting at the feet of Jesus while she was running around serving everyone. Perhaps she was known as the hostess with the mostess!! Whatever it was, she shorted herself some time at Jesus feet because of what she thought she had to do (performance trap!).
What we have to realize is that what we do, if we’re a mother, father, husband, wife, secretary, teacher, pastor, construction worker, is not who we are. Who we are is the righteousness of Christ – we
We don’t have to DO anything, but just live a Christ-like life, being real….a Christian!